At Hollywood Institute of Beauty Careers, our goal is to make it easy for you to help clients keep their skin as fresh and lovely as possible. Doing so requires an understanding of the different characteristics of men’s and women’s skin and how best to treat each for the maximum beneficial effects.
Skin Care Practices for Men
Men experience troubles such as acne that persists into adulthood, early wrinkles and dull, unhealthy-looking skin, often caused by a lack of attention to a routine. Men who want glowing, healthy skin should wash their faces morning and night and exfoliate with a gentle scrub twice a week to remove the buildup of dead skin cells, Men’s Fitness advises.
Other excellent ways to keep skin looking fresh and young include:
- Moisturizing with an oil-based product for normal or dry skin or a water-based lotion for oily skin types.
- Drinking lots of water, eating well and avoiding cigarettes.
- Avoiding too much sun and wearing sunscreen.
Skin Care Practices for Women
The best skin care practices for women mirror those for men relatively closely, but their focus should be slightly different. As women age, their skin becomes less elastic, more prone to wrinkles and often more sensitive to heat and environmental conditions. They, too, benefit from regular cleansing routines and from applying moisturizer regularly to keep skin smooth and pliable. In addition, the Mayo Clinic recommends the following steps:
- Avoid smoking, which sucks vital nutrients and oxygen from your skin, causes wrinkles and constricts blood vessels.
- Limit exposure to hot water, such as long showers or baths, which zaps moisture and depletes necessary oils.
- Shave carefully and pat dry when stepping out of the shower.
- Manage stress, which can contribute to breakouts and sensitivity.
This last step goes for men, too, who are just as sensitive to skin changes due to stress. If you’re studying to be a licensed esthetician and are wondering how best to educate your clients about their skin, start with these simple steps. Basic self-care and attention to diet can go a long way toward beautiful skin, and a good routine makes a huge difference in the quality and longevity of skin.
Even if you’re not quite ready to head to beauty school, keep in mind that you can always apply later, and for now, these tips are still some in which you can practice now.
Image Source: Flickr